Somebody got spanked – finally!

I read this web post today. And I smiled. The soke of the Matayoshi kobudo system spanked someone.

Hard. Publicly.

And I wholly agree with his actions. I just wish it would happen more often.

Now, we only have one side of the story. But it seems that the individual has been trying to ‘splain and defend himself in social media in the last little while. He even has a webstory out from the Black Belt Magazine, that well-know purveyor of all things dento martial arts.

Why do I wish more foreigners would get spanked for their shenanigans? Because the Okinawans, at least the ones I have seen, are far too polite and kind to make waves, especially if they do not see what happens with the larger picture of where their kindness could go.

In this case, the tragedy sort of unfolds here in the historical description of the post. A likely-now-former student comes and asks for ‘favours’ but offers nothing in return. He had a history of ‘asking’ for rank. He was not willing to allow the instructor a copy of the book for review or blessing.

I gotta wonder if he was once a used car dealer. The moves seem pretty slick.

Once the Okinawan master figured out what was going on, he reacted. Again, in my opinion, rightly so.

I have seen a handful of organizations “allow” for regional or territorial iterations of their association to be created. There’s this. And this. And this. And even this. To what degree they see themselves as independent from the hombu, well, I am not real sure. Usually, it is a means to set up a regional fiefdom that allows them power and control. Maybe it is money. Maybe it is fame.

I’ve seen some co-opt the association’s patch to incorporate the name. I’ve heard of one person who incorporated the patch in his name – to the exclusion of the soke, the hombu and his successors. I’ve also heard tell of some coming to a new association and making certain “demands” for their adherence and membership of their new seniors.

Bad cricket. Super. Poor. Form.

I don’t give a leaping rat’s arse how good your karate is. I see that as taking advantage of people. That is a business and vanity move pure and simple. Poor form overall for a traditional martial artist in my view. And the Okinawans are terrific people. Welcoming. Friendly. Polite. They often don’t see the trainwreck coming because they are not looking for it. For the most part, they want to give you the benefit of the doubt.

If all martial artists had a scintilla of the humility, the kindness and politeness  and the patience of the Okinawans, we would not have this problem. The challenge is – many of these foreign folk do have strong physical skills. Yet, seemingly, they failed to develop their aspects of training that would seem them being humble, considerate of others, loyal. The Okinawans I have met usually demonstrate and hold these talents at or above levels of mastery – on par with their martial skills.

But, for whatever reason – territoriality, power/ greed, whatever – folks decide to separate themselves from the flock. All of a sudden, we have special snowflakes everywhere. It sorta breaks the 

Okinawan maxim of “ichariba chodee”: once we meet, we are family.

Then again, most families have that idiot cousin or uncle that is always trying to pull a fast one on others.

Before you rage about this post, take a step back, look at yourself in the mirror and ask: is that person me?

The more self-aware will identify and perhaps seek amends. Those totally self-absorbed will simply want to rage on.


For those, I hope the Okinawans (or whoever they report to) spank them as well. And soon.  Because you and the others like you are definitely overdue for a spanking.

Comments

Popular Posts