Remembering Nagamine Takayoshi Hanshi

I started my day complaining about snow falling at the end of April. Little did I know my day and my focus would change in a scant few moments. My desire to complain would be lost to other matters of greater concern...

I logged on to Facebook to see a posting from fellow karateka in Naha noting that Nagamine Takayoshi Hanshi had been found dead in his home. I felt a tear escape from the corner of my eye. I had not seen Sensei in almost ten years, since my time in Osaka. My last visit with him was over the new year in 2003.

My time in Osaka and the visits to Naha were the first time I had met Sensei. I had heard stories of his nature, yet I found him to be a very welcoming and hospitable man. I wish I had found more time to train with him.

My last contact with Sensei was about 5 months ago; I had contacted him in advance of my visit to Okinawa. My trip there last month now somehow seems bittersweet. I had hoped to pay my respects to Sensei while I was there. The one day I did make it to the dojo, it was closed. I had another opportunity to visit the dojo, but I declined it. Looking back now, that is a regret I will likely take to my grave.

The other memory I have surrounding that visit is one that leaves me sad and somewhat angry. It was a conversation I was privy to where a master was seemingly gloating over how his style was better-positioned to carry on than that of others masters because he had family members who were active in karate to carry on. Nagamine Sensei`s name was invoked. Looking back on that conversation, I wonder how that master feels now.

I know I have lost some respect for that master. Looking back, I do not personally remember Nagamine Sensei, for any of his faults, ever speaking ill of other masters.

The karate world has lost an important figure in Takayoshi Sensei; he was seemingly the last of the family line for Matsubayashi-ryu. He was perhaps a taskmaster and a perfectionist. But he was also a powerful karateka and  an impressive technician.

I mourn his loss and my thoughts and prayers go out to the Nagamine family and to my brothers and sisters in the Matsubayashi-ryu community.





Comments

Popular Posts