Karate and kobudo: and never the two shall meet???

For years, I have had a burning interest in studying kobudo.

Before I begin the post in earnest, let me preface the following posting by explaining that I have no interest in ceasing my studies of karate. In fact, if anything, I am of the perhaps misguided belief that studying the two together would prove beneficial to both training endeavours. Stance-wise, karate and kobudo are quite similar. Technique-wise, many of the movements compliment each other.

And, if anything, from my limited exposure, I think that kobudo would benefit the power and precision of my karate.

Consider that hip snap is prevalent in kobudo techniques as are applications of wrist development (sai, tonfa) and torque (bo); all of these also exist within karate, albeit possibly to a lesser (or more subtle) extent. Beyond that, the two have a long and inextricable history on Okinawa. many of the old-time masters studied both arts. And, in fact, some dojo on the island teach both as part of their karate curriculum.

So, for me, studying kobudo is simply an extension of studying karate. My time in the martial arts has been predominantly in the Okinawan styles; my interest in the martial culture of Okinawa is practically insatiable. I want to explore and learn as much as I can. What can I say; I'm a curious sort.

Yet, despite this shortlist of reasons for wanting to study, it would seem that my foray into kobudo is ended before it began.

I've been around the block a few times as far as the Okinawans are concerned, but I do not know all the ins and outs with them. And like all gaijin, I occasionally step into it without realizing. Yet, in this case, I had asked a fellow karate brother who has studied kobudo for a number of years to help me both in my journey and in approaching my karate master about studying kobudo. There appeared to be a misunderstanding about what I perceived to be his approval for said venture. However, the day I was to begin my formal training, I was told that this would not be permitted. While I did not get in trouble directly, there were some hard feelings created between my master and some of my karate brothers over this situation.

I took an opportunity to speak with my master and apologize and also plead my case for studying kobudo and karate. Well, I tried anyway. He thanked me for taking responsibility and for stepping up to apologize. Still, this new decision, whatever the cause of it was, seemed final. As hard as it is to reconcile, I have respect the master's wishes. And while it is not in place yet, he mentioned that some wish to create a new level in the association for people who teach (or study) other arts could be introduced. Now, I can understand why a traditional karate style would not necessarily jive with an MMA class or with, say, judo in terms of their history or their values. But karate and kobudo, two children of the same island parent?

The reasons for said same edict would be difficult to pin down. Within the organization, there are a number of folk who teach arts other than karate. Some people do study and teach kobudo, Another dojo offers tai chi while another is also affiliated with an iaido system. So, why now is there the possibility that I would have to choose my karate over an interest in furthering my kobudo studies?

Well, there is that old chestnut of chasing two rabbits and catching neither. Or there is the parable of Jesus that says you will love one and hate the other. Or perhaps it is the issue of conflicting loyalties. Or perhaps a fear of losing dojo to another group. Or maybe the value of said art is misperceived or undervalued.

In any case, I made my apologies to my master for any misunderstandings or any perceived slights that may have occurred, even though I did what I should have done in seeking permission. But, the finalities of said actions are still out of my control. If I undertake kobudo, I risk losing my standing as a full member of the association. This comes with an increase of dojo fees and decrease in my rights as a dojo owner. I am not sure I like that idea very much. I only hope that when and if the new rules are enforced, that they will apply to all equally with no grandfathering and special exceptions. OR that enough people will question the validity of said decision when it comes to studying Okinawan karate's kissin' martial cousin.

My takeaways from this?
Karate and kobudo may be historically and culturally linked, but that does not mean that these links are seen or appreciated by all. I may not get the possibility to study kobudo unless decisions change.

I have never been in a situation where one could be punished for learning and exploring.

Relationships can be like trying to hold sand your hand. If your hand is open and together, you can hold the sand well. If you try to grip the sand tightly in your fist, the sand will slip away.

Comments

Tedankhamen said…
The Japanese also have the saying うそも方便 (A lie has its uses). Every karateka I knew visited other style dojos, or did kobudo, or dated (seriously, some senseis forbade it before competition!!), and just kept their mouth shut. I wouldn't say lies are ingrained in Japanese culture, but the whole concpet of what you HAVE TO and SHOULD tell or keep quiet is totally different. My wife has to brief me on what I can and can't say to her family whenever we go back - it is a minefield of loyalties, stepped toes, etc. Dojos are like big families sometimes in that way...

Popular Posts