Pulling no punches - on pandemics, martial arts and mental health

 One does not have to look too far to see bad news these days.

Almost a year into COVID, and the situation for many is dire. Unemployment. Solitude. Uncertainty. Anger. Frustration.

The only thing that humans seem to hate more than change is ambiguity. And right now, there's a buffet on the latter and more than a few helpings with the former.

The pandemic has people worked up and worried. Understandably so. It's fraying nerves. Whether it is from the fear of COVID, the loss of loved ones, the cabin fever mentality or conspiratorial anger, mental health is becoming an issue.

Overdose deaths are up (full disclosure, I lost my nephew to an OD last summer).

Domestic violence incidents are up significantly in several jurisdictions in Canada (and likely elsewhere).

Doctors are noting that more patients are reporting symptoms of depression and expressing suicidal ideation.

Alcohol intake, surprisingly,. has not significantly increased.

People are under stress, and the stress is not letting up. 

I know, thank you, Captain Obvious. Right?

But know what is not obvious? Why people are not trying to change their situations. They complain about boredom. They complain about routines being interrupted. They complain about weight gain (oh yeh, the pandemic is certainly going to creating ripples of health problems for decades to come - heart disease, obesity, variety of cancers, diabetes, etc).

Many Canadians cannot get to the gym. They cannot do their regular activities. But the problem is not access. The problem is not opportunity.

The problem is motivation.

TV viewing is up considerably since last March. As are subscriptions to various streaming services.

And yet, despite options, people choose habits that are not beneficial to their mental and physical health.

Like, oh, say, Karate?

Yup.

Numerous studies have been done on the physical and mental health benefits of karate practice.

Like this one.

Or this one.

And this one.

Oh! Oh! Look at this one over here! Yeh, I'm looking at you, fellow geezers over 50!  :) 

And, yeh, at least one more.

I could do this all day. Actually, I have. But I think you get my point.

Expand the parameters to martial arts in general - and change variable to overall health and... well, as we say in French, bonne lecture!

But but but... you say... the same applies to most if not all forms of physical activity, including sex. 

Well, contrary to LaTour's pronouncement, many people are not still having sex. This COVID thing seems to stop them.

Besides, I have a point here. Yes, I do. I ill get there. I promise. 

Karate is one of those activities that does not need a lot of room. It does not need a lot of fancy equipment. It develops focus. It is great for discipline. And it is a great outlet for aggression. Not because you get to hit people or things. But because you can channel that aggression through movement.

It's going to help with stress relief.

Self control.

Self esteem.

You'll be more introspective.

And you'll get a boost of the dopamine!

I've had people call me and email me and ask me about starting classes virtually.

I tell them, literally, there's no time like the present. It reminds me of those who say they'll wait til they get in shape before they start karate.

Aaaaand we're laughing
(still shot from 1990's
Goodfellas
©Warner Bros Pictures)

  Is starting virtually ideal? Nope. But you know what else is not ideal?
 A pandemic, that's what.

  We need routines. We need activity. We need something to
  focus on externally. We need to move our bodies.

  Are you going to be technically perfect if you start through a Zoom class?
  Nope.

  But I will let you in on a little secret.

   If you're just starting, in person or through Zoom, it's gonna be the same.
  Welcome to the wonderful world of starting something totally new.


Especially karate.

I mean, seriously, if karate was easy, everyone would do it. And everyone would be a black belt. But it isn't and they're not.

Besides you have a lifetime to get better. In person.

The journey of a thousand miles (or through several hundred days of COVID housebounded-ness) begins with a single step.

I mean, it's like people are listening to a twisted version of Yoda. Do not, try not. There is no "do."

So, yeh, ok, whatever, but how do I know karate is good for mental health?

Well, aside from the studies I mentioned (and there's plenty more), there's the empirical evidence I could present you with.

But there's also the anecdotal evidence I could throw at you. I have been doing it for decades. 

I need karate.

NEED! IT!

Lemme tell ya why.

I never liked playing hockey. I liked stuff with more discipline. More structure. More individuality. Something not tied to some finite goal. Put a puck in a net. Wasn't for me.

So I did stuff that I enjoyed. But this stuff also made me 'unpopular.' Like karate. Like Army Cadets. Those weren't cool things. Especially when one was a teen... in the 80s.

I was bullied when I was a kid (yeh, not being a big hockey player may have done it:) ). It started to turn around when I started karate. Lemme tell ya, being the quiet karate guy made folks back off. Challenges did not do much, and the mouthy ones seemed to lose their 'spirit' if I showed an interest in accepting a challenge. 

I faced career mobbing in my chosen profession. Ultimately, I had to leave to preserve my sanity and dignity. I was diagnosed with PTSD and comorbid depression as an adult. (So, no, karate cannot prevent depression. But it can still help practitioners). But, I am pretty high-functioning. I have an IQ in the 'gifted' range.

And I have to attribute some of what I accomplished to karate. Including my smarts. Because karate is not just physical.

Now, is my karate on prescription? Yeah, sorta. I need it. When I have been cut off, I have suffered. Conversely when I get my karate fix, I thrive. That, having good support and good meds helps.

But, yeah, me without karate? It would not be pretty. I've seen it. I've lived through it. It was not pretty.

Case in point?

2020 was a total crap show. And that's on top of the crap show that was COVID.

I had a cousin not much older than me pass away from a heart attack last spring. Totally unexpected.

My nephew passed away a couple months later.

Then at the tail end of July, my dad was diagnosed with cancer for a second time. Despite initial hope of a treatment, more tests came back that indicated that he was ripe with it. Small cell lung cancer - a nasty, rapidly metastasizing form of the stuff - that did him. He was gone within a couple weeks.

No funeral for any of them. No closure. No proper good bye.

I took advantage to do some training in BC about a week later (COVID rules in place). Yeh, it helped me manage my grief.

A little over a week later, my mum went into the hospital with multiple problems related to her disease. I was away from home, from work and, yes, from karate for over a month managing things on that front. She needed to move out of her place and into assisted-living. And that was on me. The days were long. The stress was significant. And I did what I could. My training helped me focus. Helped me get my sit together. All while I was now also mentally dealing with the other hits. Training (and friends) got me through the hell that was my fall.

Yeah, my routine was broken. And without something regular to focus my energies, I felt the pressure. I just had to push through. I had to endure. Feel the pain and push to keep going. Some days were absolute shit. I won't lie.

Coming home and getting back to routine was absolutely vital to bring me back to semblance of normal.

Or, well, as close to normal as I can get anyway.  :)

All that to say, my training paid off. Even when I couldn't because of circumstance. It had nothing to do with the pandemic. Or desire. Or motivation.

Even in my darkest days some 20 years ago, the best moments, the happiest ones are the ones where my friends dragged my arse out of the pit and got me on the floor. It's hard-slugging sometimes, I know. But it is better than the alternative.

Let me share one of my favorite (true) sayings: the worst day in the dojo is still gonna be better than the best day at work.

Been there. Felt that.

As a friend posted on FB - Zoom karate won't replace in-class training. But it is a hell of a step up from couchsurfing.

So what's the motivation to get people out of their funk?

I dunno. I am not the burning bush. And I am not sure even the burning bush would be helpful.

Ya see, it's like the old joke about the psychiatrist and the lightbulb.

How many psychiatrists does it take to change a lightbulb?

None. The lightbulb has to want to change.

So, yeh, if you're comfy with your routine of non routine, your trough of potato chips, a remote and a heavily-indented couch, please don't let me interrupt you. :)

But, seriously, if you are worried about a weight gain, about feeling sad, depressed or disconnected, or whatever during the pandemic, more of the same will not change that.

So, why not try getting your arse up off the couch and do something for your brain and your body.

Karate is not going away.

Even if it is on Zoom.

Look at it at getting lessons at kicking depression. And COVID's behind.

And if you feel like thanking me later, you know where to find me... 

Comments

Popular Posts