Naihanchi – the lost kata of Goju?


So, bear with me here.

I was always taught that, within Shorin systems, the heishugata ( 閉手型  ) was Naihanchi. And within Goju, it was Sanchin and Tensho. It’s canon. It’s the way things are done.

But what if we have been missing something seriously fundamental all along?

What if people are closing their eyes off to important lessons right in front of them because ‘that’s not our kata.”

Even as a Matsubayashi/ Shorin  guy, I first learned Sanchin back in the early 90s when I was doing Goju. It was interesting, and I found things that were useful in the movements – tension and relaxation, rising and falling, use of hips on the turns, etc. Good stuff. I really did not work on Tenshi until years later. To my regret.

But, imagine my surprise when I was living in Osaka and training at the Daidoukan, that I was introduced to a dojo that did both Naihanchi and Sanchin as heishugata. Now, to be fair, it was a revised version called Moto te Sanchin (  手三戦), but it was Sanchin all the same. And brother, lemme tell ya, the lessons learned from Moto te Sanchin are also practical to Goju! It is from the Udunti ( 御殿手- palace hand).

I remember asking Motobu Chosei why they did both Sanchin and Naihanchi (there were two versions of Sanchin – an open handed and a closed-hand version - done typically at the start of class as part of the kihon drills). The answer was something to the effect of – two parts make one whole. It made sense at the time.

And, upon return to Canada, I went back to doing things the old way. Separating of heishugata according to style. Naihanchi when I did Matsubayashi; Sanchin when I did Goju.

So, imagine my great surprise to find that Senaha Sensei still does Naihanchi. Knowing my background, he asked if I still did Nahanchi. I admitted yes, but not that often. He indicated that in his early studies, he had learned Naihanchi ( I believe he did Shorin for a time before he went to Meibukan). We usually end up doing Naihanchi when we train together.

If you look at it, while Sanchin does have much to teach the Goju practitioner, so, too, does Naihanchi. What do I mean?

Well, consider the morote barai uke (two level block) in Naihanchi that appears in Shisochin (in open handed form, mind you). Some people snap them out as a chudan uke. But if you look closely at the movements of the kata, that’s not such a good idea. The start and end sequences within Naihanchi, don’t fit, but they don’t need to. However, if you look at them. You do see more movements (ura uchi) again) within Goju kata- all is not lost!

Ned more?

K, how about the first movement of Naihanchi? Step out to chudan yoko uke? Geez, that looks a whole lot like a movement from Suparinpe. One that we do four times in that kata. Whereabouts is that move again in Sanchin? Or Tensho?

How about the ashi barai? Hey, that’s nice. We don’t have any of those in any of our kata. ‘Cept maybe Gekisai dai ichi and ni, Saifa, Seisan and Seipai.

How about the short-burst use of koshi? We were told for years, there is no hip in Goju. Turns out there is hip in Goju, but there is no hip in Goju. The use of gamaku is as important for Goju as it is for any other style of Okinawan karate. Think about the strikes in Shisochin (open hand) and Seisan (closed hand). If you don’t add a bit of a pull back of the hip as your chamber the fist, you’ll find the punch is not quite as powerful or impressive. How about the forward moving ura uchi in Seienchin? 

You really need some quick hips for that one, no?

And let us not forget the difference between sanchin dachi and shiko dachi. Sanchin does not really prepare us to get low or to open the hip. However, you know what does? Naihanchi dachi. Weight distribution is the same. Alignment of the knee over the foot. These things are sort of important.

The last piece that Goju folks can glean from Naihanchi is the whippy, explosive power that the kata contains. We need it in Saifa at the beginning for sure. Not the only place, but you get what I am talking about, yes?

So now that I have made the case for why Goju folks could benefit from Sanchin and Naihanchi training, maybe you will keep the dive going and find more for yourself. There’s lots.

And we have not even started digging into Naihanchi ni or san yet.


Comments

Popular Posts