Okinawan Karate's not broken, so why are so many people trying to fix it???

The Okinawan Karate Information Centre posted a number of videos to their website recently.

The videos themselves are easily recognizable. The rationale for said posting is not as easily discernible. Almost immediately after their posting, there was a hue and cry from practitioners around the world. What did it all mean? If these were the standards for the upcoming tournament, why was their association/ group/ hombu not included.

Now, bear in mind, unlike the one-way-fits-all shiteigata of the WKF, these videos actually provide for some differentiation of systems.  Beyond that, what the heck do all these kata show us?

I along with many others are still trying to figure it out.

One the one hand, I love watching the videos for the pure enjoyment of seeing different ways of doing kata. I am both curious and interested in the applications poised within the differences of the kata. The bulk movements are largely the same; there are some stylistic differences (ex some punch to judan level in gekisai ichi) visible.

On the other hand, if this is the way that Okinawan karate seems to be going, it leaves me asking: what's the point.

I was involved in an online discussion wherein some posited that the Okinawans recognize the value of the sport-side of karate as it draws young people in to the art. Those same young people may stick around to learn the other, real side of Okinawan karate. Perhaps this is so. My question is, and I think it is a logical question: what happens if (and/ or when) there is no longer anyone who can or does understand or practice the old ways and the more practical combative side of Okinawan karate?

Now, obviously, the tournament will not attract folks like me. I recognize that many of my brethren and some of my friends may attend to simply represent their ryuha. But if I am tossing out my sheckles to go to Okinawa, I am going to learn. I am going to study I am going to explore. Maybe that makes me a maverick. It does not make me disloyal.

True, many sport karateka over the last 40 years have either been in the Okinawan world or have migrated to the Okinawan world. Many of them are well-known. So maybe this is an evolutionary step, and I am simply cynical or myopic in my view.

Yet, ironically, while the movement towards sport, trophies and competitive glory marches thus on Okinawa, many outside of Okinawa are studying kata and applying a practical spin to their training either through development of futari geiko or creation of syllabi of movement, technique and power generation to bring new understanding to an old art.

As for moi? Well, I do not have anywhere near all the answers. Hell, I am still trying to figure out many of the questions. But all this does concern me nevertheless. I like the new ways a lot. Some great beacons of light therein. But why are not the Okinawans picking these folk - and the throng of people hungry for this knowledge - on their radar?

Maybe this is just the way it is supposed to be. The Chinese wushu-d the stuffing out of kung fu. Muay Boran morphed from a combative art into Muay Thai.

Hell, in 20 years or more, maybe the Brazilian Jujitsu practitioners will be holding competitive omoplata demonstrations. Or perhaps there will be a points system that distinguishes which group's rear naked choke is seemingly the most effective based on angle of forearm into the neck and cut of the crease. After all, the only real difference between the arts is how they codify the techniques and their applications.

Still, regardless of how the whole tournament drive plays out, I will continue to study and practice Okinawan karate.

Or, at least I will practice the Okinawan karate that I once knew.

Comments

Popular Posts