Kakure bushi: the benefits of keeping a low profile

Public displays of affection don't bother me.

Public displays of aggression do, however.

What do I mean by that? Should we be smooching in the dojo? Well, no. Tho planting a big wet one on one's opponent would likely offer an opportunity to capitalize on a stunned moment. Strategy and tactics are everything! But I digress...

What I do mean is that there is a time and a place for everything. If you want to show your striking prowess, one should be selective about where you advertise your abilities. You'd be doing yourself a huge favour.

Case in point: the public fitness facility I attend has a rather large cross-section of regulars. One is a rather large gentleman who grunts a lot and drops weights on a regular basis (when gently placing them to the ground would be more appropriate). He also aggressively shadow boxes at rather odd times. Almost as if he is looking for someone to fight with. Or someone to intimidate. He also has this odd habit of looking at people when he does it. More like a stare, He did it to me once, I smiled and went back to my workout. Nice try, though.

There's also a rather fit young man of eastern European extraction, inked to the hilt, who was clearly never taught how to properly wear swimming trunks. I've seen him in the hot tub a couple of times. His MO is to perform a variety of combative moves as he moves through the water, splashing about. His upper body is quite defined and his legs are likely quite powerful for their size. But, as he is doing his upper body displays of machismo, I ponder about what would likely happen if someone took out his rather knobby knees.

And really, it is not so much what they do; it`s what they coupled with how and where they do it. Picture if you will the ad that was found plastered in the comics of old where the musclebound bad boys kick sand in the scrawny guy`s face, forcing him to the arms of Charles Atlas, as it were. The results, if one looks to the right, were not in favour of the tough guys. Actions of the gym goons may have the same or similar effect.


Really, I don't care what they know or what they don't know. I don't understand their thought process that would lead them to think that they have to show off misplaced skills. Nor do I want to understand. Want to impress me? Try acting appropriately for the environment you are in. Years ago, I read an article by Charles Goodin. It mentioned the term "bushi gwa" or small bushi. In the Okinawan context, said term my be translated as hooligan or thug. Or perhaps they are more kuchi bushi - a kind of a poseur who tries to influence or impress someone by showing or talking about how much they think they know. 

They could also be some rare hybrid, a result of bad genetics that has wound up believing that people will respect/ fear them if they show a few moves. Nothing could be further from the truth, at least not for the majority of people. Most just likely don't care. Or are too busy with other things to really notice. But there could be others who are also watching them for their own reasons: to size them up. People who, for their own misguided reasons, may be tempted to try them out, based on their displays of prowess. In showing their skills, they may have also shown their weaknesses and limitations.

So, what is the alternative? What should one do or how should one act?

The third option is the preferred. Be the kakure bushi, or roughly, the hidden warrior. Now, that does not mean that you should run and hide. It means that you keep your hands (and feet) to yourself, literally. By choosing this method, people will no know what you know or don't know. In other words, they are oblivious to your abilities and skills. They are ignorant to your martial talents, and this is one time that ignorance is truly bliss. 

I rarely tell people about my karate, that is both a benefit and disadvantage. It is a benefit in the fact that I am not constantly asked to show what I know. It is a disadvantage in that maybe I would have more students if I talked up my martial game more.

Now, to be fair and honest - like many things in life - there are many exceptions to the case. If you are going to work out - work out. If you are going to practice karate, kung fu, muay thai or whatever, then do that. But just as I would not haul the weights in to an open gym space and grunt and struggle and sweat away, perhaps you should not bringing your kicking, punching, striking workout to the weight room or pool? I don't have a problem with people sneaking in a workout in the park. Intent is a big thing. Are you hitting things or staring aggressively at people as they pass you? Yeah, that is a bad idea. If people stop and watch, don't grunt and strut. Maybe you should ask if they have any questions. The last may just translate as movement towards being an ubu bushi, a great and magnanimous warrior.

Time and place for everything. Right action, right reason.  Cannot stress it enough. But, perhaps you're a 9th degree master of some rare martial arts style and your practice includes finding bizarre moments to show off your skills with a high degree of attitude. If that is the case, then you have my sincere apologies...I'll just go back to showing you my karate - kakure bushi-style!   

Comments

Popular Posts