Gaijin gone wild: first post from Naha

It has been four days since our arrival in Okinawa and many things have happened since we got here. We have experienced two earthquakes. We have visited a few gaijin-friendly watering holes, ate at various restaurants, walked all over heck's half acre til 5 a.m. reminiscing of my last time here. Visited Shureido thrice. And trained 3 days in a row. And, oh yes, met a prolific author of karate-do who is town working on articles and training.
I love the experience here so far. I miss some of my creature comforts and my loved ones at home, and I am trying to make the most of my time here. But, in reflecting on all things since our arrival here, there is something that is nagging at me. I have seven of my students with me now. And, in the back of my mind, I find myself doing the one thing that I found happened to me when I lived in Osaka. I am observing their gaijin-ness far more than I should.
I am one of them. Yet, I am perceiving them in what I feel is foreign eyes. Said fact reminds me line of a song that was popular about 14 years ago.
"Live in New York once, but leave before it makes you hard" - Everybody's free to wear sunscreen
To paraphrase this for the current experience, visit Okinawa once, but leave Japan before it makes you jaded.
I tend to forget what it is like to visit Okinawa for the first time, especially when seen through the eyes of my students. They range from the ages of mid/late 30s to four years old. I want them to appreciate the experience, but I will admit my expectations of them may be a bit harsh. It is my own fault.
That is a hard thing for me to say, but it is my cross to bear.
I lived in Osaka for a year. I have been to Okinawa quite a few times. And perhaps it is my own recollection/ experience of having the watchful judging eyes of the collective upon me. It is not really as much the issue in Okinawa. While they are experiencing the situation as themselves, I find myself trying to 'fit in.' However, the reality of the fact is, as much as the gaijin tries here, he (or she) will never truly fit it. My reality, however, says that when in Rome, try not to piss off the Romans.
I am not the type to try to out-J the J. God knows, I know and have seen enough of those folk in my life past and present. But, I try to live within the standards of their behaviour. I endeavour to keep my hand gestures small. I try not to talk too loud (and for a guy with a booming voice, it is hard to do), and I try not to make many faux pas within my daily habitudes. I do enjoy having a pop or a water while walking. And, as always, when it comes to being a kid, I forget what that is like.
I cannot compare my experience or my conduct to that of any of my other students. I was older than most of them when I came to Okinawa for the first time. I was also further ahead in terms of my karate studies. Or was I?
Perhaps my own personal experience has clouded my ability to perceive my students' experience in a proper light. I was a young man of 35 when I first came to Okinawa. The richness of the first time here was not lost on me. Nor is the richness of it lost on me now. But, there was a great expectation of me (I think) as a sandan than there is of a green belt... or a blue belt or an orange belt.
I guess in a way, as their instructor, I feel a sense of responsibility not only for their karate but also their conduct here. As, I guess, in a way, I should. But, at the same time, their future experiences in karate and as people will be guided by their interpretations and reflections of their time here.
I do feel a great sense of pride of in their choice to come here and their dedication to take part in the special event that encompasses our visit.
And, somehow, I feel ashamed that my expectations of their experience should match my own. The students need to learn on their own. The sensei's job is to guide them, not drag and beat them into following his (or her) example.
Their role is to learn and soak up the experience. And hopefulyl come to appreciate it for what it is. My job is to mellow out and simply do what is expected of me as their senior. And fulfill my role with my own ryuha as a good role model.
In other words, I should not take myself too seriously. Nor should I try to fit in too much.

Comments

Popular Posts