There are no small martial arts, only small martial artists

I will admit that, when I was younger, I was somewhat cocky at times. Ok, I'll even go so far as to say arrogant on occasion. I was young, and I had a coveted black belt to my name. However, I was always mindful and respectful of others who had accomplished the same goal and those who were higher in rank. I was respectful of different styles of martial arts as well. And, as time went on and I studied and meditated more on what karate was and what it meant to and for me, I learned more about myself than I would have imagined... or would have cared to.

But, this post is not about me. I recognize my place in the martial food chain and have mellowed quite radically from the 18 year old that had all the talent and ability and none of the guidance and knowledge of the rank he held. But, I was reminded of a number of scenarios that I have encountered over the years with some people who look at the martial arts through a very narrow lens of understanding and experience. They still try my patience, but, more than anything, they have my pity.

My current version occurred today with a man who stopped by my information table. It started off as curiosity, and I dig curiosity. We began talking about the movie Kuro Obi; I segued into a discussion about Yagi Akihito, one of the stars of the movie. The man then decided to slide the subject to his art. The conversation went something like this:
Him: I study X.
Me: ah, X. Oh yeh, cool.
Him: So what do you know about X?
Me: well, I know it came from Okinawan karate origins.
Him: Hmmph.
Me: What do you know about Okinawan karate?

That last question seemed to piss him off.

Him: How long have you been training?
Me: going on 35 years.
Him: Oh yeh, we'll I'm Y old and I have been training for Z years.
Me: Oh, good for you.
Him: So what do you know about X?
Me: Do you know so-and-so (senior Canadian instructor of X art)?
Him: No (sneer).

The conversation then turned to sparring and the tone to a familiar tack to how Okinawan karate must be somewhat useless because we do not spar. The person then made the following comment, in an attempt to justify themselves or their style.

Him: I'm a six-time Canadian champion.
Me: So, I am ex-police and ex-military. And my stuff works. What's your point?
Him: You're getting keyed up. Wow, it doesn't take you too much to get wound up.

At this point, I am relaxed, shoulders loose, with my copy of the Bubishi in my hands. I point out to him that he asked me questions and I answered them. His stance changed and he appeared to square off, his hands starting moving more. But, I have to smile at the idea that he thinks he's pissed me off.

The conversation continues...

Him: In X, we do this.
Me: Yeh, X is a good style.
Him: X is a GREAT style.
Me: Any martial art, taught properly, is effective.
Him: But X we do this and you do not. So, X is much stronger than what you do.

We carry on talking about the seeming superiority of X to all other martial arts. I mention that we have two different points of view, so let's agree to disagree. He carries on, in a seeming attempt to goad me.

Him: So, if no sparring, how do you know if it's any good.
Me: we have kumite, but it is not like anything you would recognize.
Him: Oh yeh, well there are styles that are for fitness, self-defense or fighting. X is all...(I tuned out here).
Me: Mmm hmm.
Him: So, you are the instructor. You are a black belt?
Me: yes, I am certified.
Him: Lots of people are certified. That doesn't mean anything.

It was about this time where he again mentioned that I was keyed up. There are a handful of people in my life that can push my buttons so effectively that my ire is raised. He did not come close. In fact, if he truly had raised my ire, and without meaning, he would have backed away and left the conversation alone. To do otherwise is contrary to logic and civility. If you have accidentally woken the sleeping dog, you do not poke it repeatedly with s stick. He kept flogging as if his life depended on it. Luckily, I recognized early on what he was doing and I let him do his thing. I went back to reading my book and eventually he took the hint and walked away.

His attitude disturbed me, not just because he represented X style of karate, one that has its share of proponents who believe it to be the one true, powerful style of karate. but because he took on a seemingly knowing point of authority on all things, including me. It was clear that he liked to fight and that perhaps he had some challenges in life. Perhaps it is through karate that he finds a means of compensation for his personal shortcomings (if so, he has a long way to go). Perhaps he just does not have enough time on the floor.

Now, the problem with the Internet is that it is a virtually limitless storehouse of information. So, if you lay claim to things like he did, there should be something online that might back that up. And while I was able to find one claim to a Canadian championship, I did find out that it was likely as a mudansha (albeit a senior colored belt). My theory regarding time on the floor was somewhat verified.

It may be that his instructor has drilled the superiority of X into his head, or it may be he is simply filled with some sort of false bravado emanating from any number of places. Either way, it reminded me that one needs to maintain a tone of humility when speaking with all: juniors, seniors, whoever.

It also reminds me that people forget that it is not the style that makes the man, it is the man that makes the style. We all have things that we are good at and can appreciate about our arts. But, we need to remember that no style exists in a vacuum, and, no matter what anyone says, no one art is superior to any other.

If there was, all martial artists would be doing this one style because it is the true and total ultimate.

He hasn't learned that lesson yet. I'm not sure he ever will. He is, in many cases, where I was 25 or so odd years ago - but his case is far worse. That is his issue to worry about; worse still, it is a problem for his sensei and (God forbid) his students if and when he reaches shodan.

What do I take away from this? Well, it is funny that I was reading Bubishi at that moment, because there were three points from the Laws of Wisdom that came to mind as I sat listening to this man speak. They are as true for my art as they are for his:
- let anger be your enemy.
- an empty vessel makes the greatest noise.
- discretion is the better part of valour.

What remains for me to work on is the fact that these people exist and that my mind tries to bother rationalizing with them. It is as pointless as trying to blow into the wind to change its direction. I am far from perfect and I am not the strongest proponent of my style, but I still remember to respect my position in the martial food chain. And to be respectful to my juniors and of my elders, even of those who do not deserve it.

So, the next time you encounter someone whose mission it is to tell you how much better his system (be it A, H or X) than yours, remember this: there are no small martial arts, only small martial artists.

Comments

Popular Posts